Thursday, November 2, 2017

Halloween

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, mostly because it's one of the only days of the year that it's socially acceptable, nay, even encouraged to cosplay er, dress up. For the last 10+ years, I've dressed up every time. Except for the one right after I'd given birth to Katie. Because C-sections and costumes don't go very well together. I mean, I was lucky if I was able to wear clothes at that point. And I was still too exhausted to figure a costume out.

Ares, Venus, Hermes, and.....Cinderella
Well, this year we've been in the wake of moving, and yes, I know it's been 5 months that we've been in our house here, but there's been never ending stuff to do. So I did what any self respecting Megan would do, and lied out my butt about a costume. We went to our church halloween party, which is one of our favorite events every year. I wore clothes. Regular ones. And then told everyone that I was a nudist on strike (thanks, pinterest). The kids got SO MUCH CANDY. The thing about our ward party is that they do a trunk or treat. Everyone brings way more candy than is necessary, and the kids usually make at least 3 rounds of the parking lot. We had some kids come by our car at least 8 times. So with our three kids, we came home with far more candy than we brought. Seriously, we scored. Skor-ed? I don't know if we actually got any of those....

Red Riding Hood and the Huntsman, holding Peter Pan and Tinkerbell

Anyway, so the actual day of Halloween comes around (the church party is usually the friday or saturday before), and Eliana comes down with a fever. And Liam is convinced that he is dying because his hip hurts. I have no idea what he did to it, and it looked fine on visual inspection. He insists that it didn't get bumped or anything, it just hurts for no reason. Katie is grouchy and wants to be sick because Eli is. So we cancelled our plans to do a little party with a friend, and planned on just staying in. Well, of course, once the trick-or-treaters start making the rounds, all the kids insist that they want to go trick or treating. So Brian and I rounded up the crew, told them all the get costumed, and leashed the dog.
Black Canary and Green Arrow, accompanied by Supergirl, Cinderella, and a Pirate
Pokemon Trainers with an adorable Charmander

 Now, part of the annual tradition of my children is that they use a different costume for every Halloween activity. So for the church party Eliana was a witch, Liam was spider-man, Katie was Princess Sofia the First, and Brian and I were lame parents. Well, I was a nudist on strike, so maybe just Brian was lame. On Halloween itself, Katie and Liam had decided in unison that they wanted to be dragons, and luckily we had a dragon costume and an alligator or dinosaur or something.....Katie decided that it was also a dragon. I figure it had scales and a tail, so whatever. When it came time to suit up and get going, Eliana grabbed the Charmander costume that I made last year for Katie. Which is hilarious, because Katie swims in it, and on Eliana the legs end halfway down her calves. They then ganged up on me. My mom got me a dragon onesie pajama for Christmas last year, and the kids insisted that they needed a momma dragon to go with their baby dragon costumes. So we had 4 dragons (some of which may or may not have been ill. Probably a good thing they weren't actually dragons, can you imagine them sneezing fire and immolating the neighbors and their candy?). Brian decided to join in on the fun and put on his Batman onesie pajama (my Mom again). So this year? We were 4 dragons and the (dark) Knight. Didn't manage to take any pictures, but I'll share a fun one of  Liam and Katie putting their pajamas on badly.

My children clearly don't know which clothes belong to which kid.



No comments:

Post a Comment