Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Ranting prevents murder, y'all.



Living in the big city is hard. I know that there are all sorts of people who absolutely love living in big cities, but I just have to say, I am not one of them. The street and traffic signs are covered in muck, making it hard to read them (I'm assuming it's smog settling on them. I'm pretty sure I'm not going blind). At night they are even harder to read, which granted, is the time of day when I think I might be going blind, but then I remind myself that light is required for vision, and I'm not a freaking elf with lowlight vision, no matter how often I play one in d&d.
There are so many PEOPLE here. Which is rather like, duh, you're in a major population center, so yeah, that's what makes a city a city. With how many people there are though, it makes it so there's lots of other things. Like targets. I'm pretty sure we have at least 10 targets in the 5 miles surrounding my house. It's weird. Because you can be driving to a friends house, and if you want to make sure they don't need you to pick anything up for them you can probably call them about a million times. "Hey buddy, I'm passing a grocery store, you need me to pick anything up on my way over?" My Ann Arbor bestie, Bre, would frequently ask me if I needed her to pick anything up from the local grocery when she was coming over to my house. Especially on days that she was coming to rescue me from my own depression and anxiety. And lack of milk or bread. Lifesaving, let me tell you. Of course, the drive between our houses was something between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on traffic (hahahaha, I used to think Ann Arbor had traffic), and to get the same distance here in LA takes 2-3 times as long, minimum. It's painful. Excruciatingly so.
Which leads me to one of the things I utterly despise. With lots of people come lots of cars. Traffic. Is. A. Thing. There's never not traffic. Ever. Not even the middle of the night, given how often I hear brakes screeching and honking at midnight or later. And we aren't even on a main road. I hate it. I hate watching it, and I especially hate driving in it. You know how people talk about California drivers being terrible? I thought it was a bit of a joke, or at least played up a lot. It's not. I have never seen consistently worse drivers. I mean, yeah, Michiganders have a bit of a problem with making sure that they're completely in the turn lane when trying to go left, and sometimes you worry you're cutting it a bit close going past them, but here they have bad driving down to an art. I assume that people here think that traffic laws are a suggestion, not a rule. Running red lights is assumed. I won't even go at a green light until I'm visually sure that the drivers on the cross street are done running the reds. No one uses their blinkers. Not for turning, not for merging, hell, I'm starting to wonder if most of them even know what a blinker is. When I use my blinker to merge, half the time or more the person in the next lane will speed up just to block me. And then slow down so that I can't get behind them either. They take aggressive driving to the next level. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't been in an accident. One of the first things my brother told me when I moved out here (he lives on the other side of this megacity, about an hour away in good traffic) was to get a dash-cam. Because if you do end up in an accident, half the time the person will do all they can to leave without exchanging details, especially if they were at fault. And yes, this had happened to him already. He's lived here about a year longer than me, I think. Thinking about it, I probably should get a dash cam.
Brian was heading to work yesterday, and he takes the bus. He's responsible, and doing what he can to not add to the massive amount of traffic on the roads. Well, that and we can't afford a second car, but hey, responsibility works too, right? Anyway, we live about 15 miles from his work. Which really isn't that far. You'd think, oh, so about 20-30 minutes to drive. And you'd be right, if we lived anywhere else. Even taking the bus it would only be about 45 mins in most places. On a good day, his bus ride is between an hour and fifteen and an hour and a half. Yesterday, we had rain.
Now, I'm not talking about a lot of rain. I'm talking about angels blowing raspberries and the spit mist being called rain. I'm honestly not sure that anything even hit the ground. Around here, that is a big deal. It's rained twice. In 5 months. Los Angelenos don't know how to deal with rain. It took him more than two hours to get to work. There weren't accidents slowing down traffic, there weren't more cars than normal, the only difference was the tiny sprinkle of rain. I'm assuming that it's the same people who don't use their blinkers. Because the blinkers and the windshield wipers are frequently on the same little stick near the steering wheel.
Image result for car dash wiper
It's this one friends. It's this one.

2 comments:

  1. I love and miss you so much. Lincoln is perfect for me I feel like, not too big, and not to small. "Traffic" is nothing compared to most places and I can get all the way across town in 30 min or less. I honestly cannot picture you in a big city, you just aren't a city girl! I am assuming the job is amazing, and that is why it brought you there. So he finally graduated!? When was that?

    I now have an excuse to come to California, you know, will all that extra money I have laying around. But it is a nice thought, maybe someday.

    I am glad the beach is close, I imagine you are a beach girl, and you would love the mermaid life.

    How long have you been there now?

    Miss and love you so much,

    Maquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to laugh at the idea of Brian being done. He's close enough, and the job (which is basically his dream job) came and recruited him even though he still needs to finish up his dissertation. We're hoping that he'll be officially done in April, but he's still waiting on the data for the last section of his papers.

      I'm still not a city girl, but I do have a nice big backyard here, and I'm in the process of getting a garden started. We've been here since the beginning of June, and I'm still getting used to it. I find that the longer I stay in a place, the more I fall in love with the idea of staying there forever, so I expect I'll not want to leave whenever we decide it's time to move on. I'm contrary like that. Of course, the only reason that we're living in town, and not out in the country outside of it is because the commute is a horror show. It can take 2-3 hours to go 20 miles here. It's utterly ridiculous and I loathe it.

      I do love the beach, I find that it soothes the crazy in my brain. And the kids love it, so that's a bonus. I just have to be alert to Katie taking off and running away. I'm pretty sure her goal is to live at the beach by making it so that we can't find her and end up leaving her there.

      I miss you guys too! One of the hardest things about moving is leaving all of our friends behind, and at this point, with friends scattered all over the country (between their moves and all of ours), and my awesome superpower of not keeping in touch worth a darn, I figure this is the easiest way for people to know what I'm up to if they are interested. Love you girl!

      Delete